Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pottery Update

This week I collected all my glazed, fired and finished pieces from the studio. I had experimented with so many different kinds of clay and glazes that I have now lost track of which of my pieces have what glazes on them. The clay gives structure and form to the pots, the first bisque fire prepares the pot, the glaze gives definition and the final firing brings it all together. As I follow this graceful shape through the days of drying, glazing and firing that would ultimately bring out its true beauty, when it finally emerges from the fire I am truly humbled !

I have called these the “Jodhpur Collection”. These are the kind of raw earthenware pots you will find in Rajasthan, India. I have made quite a few of these and I now have a whole collection – some yet to come home from the studio. I will post the entire collection when I get them all. They are all mostly made with black or red clay with a white underglaze.

DSC_0321

DSC_0319

And ... these are some of my other pots made out of white clay. This time I used some of the dipping glazes that had iron oxide in them. I love how they came out.

DSC_0322

DSC_0324

DSC_0325

No comments: